- Don't keep "rinsing" cups etc under a running tap. Save all your washing up and (if you don't have a dishwasher) do it all once a day.
- If you do have a dishwasher use the eco wash if you can, and don't put it on unless it's full.
- Always fill your washing machine - half loads waste water and energy.
- Never run your hot tap down the sink until the water is hot. Keep a litre jug by the sink and run the water into this until it runs warm - you will be amazed at how much you collect. Use this as you carry on washing to cool any too-hot water, and water your plants with any left over as before.
- Shower rather than bathe- a 5 minute shower uses one third less water than a shower.
- Take less time in the shower - for every minute less, spent in the shower, you can save around 3285 litres of water per year!
- Water your garden with a watering can - not a hose, and invest in a water barrel or two to collect the water from your downpipes when it rains. This will save you money in the first year of use.
The best free show on earth
22 hours ago