We are all so cash-strapped - and have been since the onset of the Credit Crunch that we may have run out of ways to generate some extra income- we all know about selling stuff on Amazon and Ebay, I do sell on both of those (or not, as it seems at the moment sales are drying up!) but we need to expand beyond "selling our stuff". After all, there's a limit to how much stuff we all have to sell (or who will buy it) particularly if we are all buying less anyway - we don't need to get rid of so much stuff!
So here I've come up with some slightly more unusual ways to make some money:
- Rent out your stuff, whether it's a carpet cleaner, ladder, lawn mower, tent, designer dress, hat or whatever, RentMyItems.com is a site set up to put those who want to rent out and those who want to hire, in touch with each other.
- Rent out a room in your house by the night to holidaymakers using Wimdu.co.uk or Monday to Friday for people who work near you, but live elsewhere, using MondaytoFriday.com . You can now earn up to £4250 per year tax-free under the government's Rent a Room scheme.
- If you live in a busy working area or near a station or airport you can rent out your driveway or garage (obviously if you don't need it yourself!). Get in touch with potential renters at www.yourparkingspace.co.uk or www.parkatmyhouse.com/uk.
- Got an empty spare room, garage, loft or secure outbuilding? Offer storage to those who have stuff to store at www.storemates.co.uk.
- Got some garden space? Offer it to people to camp on a short term basis - you do need to offer some facilities, but it can still be worthwhile. Find camping or potential campers at CampinmyGarden.com.