Thursday, 31 December 2009

BEWARE TESCO RIP-OFFS!

As it's New Year's Day tomorrow I thought I'd do my weekly Tesco shop today instead of tomorrow and, as it's that time of year between Christmas and New Year that my husband always has off work, he came with me. I don't know if it was boredom or what, but he noticed the HUGE 3kg bags of pasta twists languishing on the shelf right next to him and checked the price.
Now, you may ask yourself a very obvious question - why would anyone want to buy such a huge bag of pasta?
That's right! Because it's cheaper!
Oh no it's not!
It is actually cheaper, gram for gram, to buy a smaller 500g bag of the identical pasta.
I could say that this is a cynical ploy on the part of pricing policy makers in Tesco or I could say this was probably a mistake, but I doubt it. This is not the first time I have worked out the "per 100g" shelf price and found smaller quantities working out much cheaper on Tesco's shelves.
This is a rip-off, it's not "green" (more packaging) and it is an insult to customers who believe that Tesco must be the cheapest supermarket - just because they're always telling us what a favour they're doing us!
Check those prices- work it out or take a calculator - but check what you're paying!
Happy Frugal New Year!

No comments: