Thursday, 19 February 2009

FRUGAL BROCCOLI STALK SOUP!

Yes, I really have just made and eaten a soup made from broccoli stalks! You see, when my husband shops with me and we buy loose broccoli, out comes his pen-knife and, after I've selected the broccoli heads I want, he cuts off the excess stalk! Well, he always says, broccoli is expensive and stalks weigh a lot! He's right. Last week I was shopping on my own, sans pen-knife and without the necessary knack (or strength!) to twist off the stalks by hand. So, when preparing the veg for Sunday dinner my other half was horrified to see I had nearly 6 ozs (whoops- showing my age there!) - I mean about 175g, of stalk. Now, my broccoli cost £2.29 per kilo from the Co-Op - so the stalk that I was about to throw in the compost bin had cost me over 40p!
Now, I've never made broccoli stalk soup - in fact I don't think such a recipe even exists, but my frugal side took over, and, bearing in mind that broccoli stalk is probably good for us, I thought it must be "soupable". Soupable is my new word for anything left-over, cheap or out of date, that could possibly be made into soup and frozen. Well, Dear reader, I made it and, before letting it loose on my unsuspecting readership, I've eaten it for lunch - and it was just fine!
So without further ado, here is the recipe:
Ingredients
a knob of butter* (about a heaped teaspoon size) or a tablespoon of oil.
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 large-ish broccoli stalks (chopped and outer layer peeled off), around 175g - but actual amount is not very important, it just makes the soup a little thinner if you have less.
500mls vegetable stock (I used a stock cube)
Freshly ground black pepper.

Method
Melt the butter or oil and very gently fry the onion and garlic (lid on the saucepan) until the onion is soft. Add the chopped broccoli and stir. Fry gently for 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and stir well. bring to the boil, turn down the heat and cover the saucepan. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. When cooked, add a few twists of ground pepper and allow to cool. Liquidise when cool. This will make a thickish soup and can be watered down a little if desired. Should serve 2 fairly generously or perhaps 3 (depends on the exact amount of stalk).
Serve with garlic bread, toast or stale rolls warmed to soften in the microwave. Enjoy!
*tastes a little better if you do happen to have some, but not desperately important.
More Frugal Recipes!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi hi! I tried this and it was great. I never thought of using broc stalk this way. Thanks! :) By the way, I added my personal Veggie Soup Trifecta (equal parts coconut milk, creme fraiche, and turmeric)...it was awesome with naan.