Sunday, 14 December 2008

CURE YOUR OWN HAM!

Well, I'm in the process of trying this out! It's a recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall which uses only salt water (brine) and some spices. Okay, you may say it's not frugal - but when I checked out the huge vacuum packed, chemical laden lumps of gammon in my local supermarket, a piece slightly smaller than mine (with bone in) was over £20.
I ordered a half a leg of pork from my butcher, tunnel boned (that means taken out from a hole downwards in order to leave the shape of the leg) and I told him I was going to salt it myself. He looked a little surprised - perhaps it really is very difficult and I just don't know it - yet! Our pork weighs about 4 kilos (and cost £20 but is enough for 2 Christmas dinners!) and so we have to salt it for around 16 days and we have it steeping in its pink (garden) tub in the corner of our cold kitchen! We checked it out today and it doesn't smell rancid yet!
We did hit a problem with the amount of brine and our bucket- the recipe says 2 litres and of course the pork must be covered when it is in the bucket - ours wasn't, so we eventually needed to do 5 litres!
Our ham is due out the day before Christmas eve, so I'll let you know how it turns out - find out more at Happy Frugal Christmas!

No comments: